Turn frozen black-eyed peas into a satisfying, comforting vegan meal. Add chopped fresh (or canned) tomatoes, bell pepper, and corn, and spice things up with chipotle chili powder, paprika, cumin, and fresh cilantro.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes with their juices
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen corn
- ½ cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons agave syrup
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt, to taste
1. In a large saucepan, cook onion over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
2. Add bell pepper; cook 5 minutes.
3. Add frozen black-eyed peas and tomatoes with juices. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat 5 minutes.
4. Stir in 2 cups boiling water, corn, cilantro, paprika, agave syrup, oregano, chipotle pepper, and cumin. Cook, partially covered, over medium-low heat 35 minutes. If necessary cook 10 to 15 minutes more or until black-eyed peas are tender. Season with salt. Sprinkle with additional cilantro.