While the weather in the south may beg to differ, the calendar still says spring which means it's a wonderful time to try your hand at spring rolls! They’re easy and fun for the whole family, and you can put a wide variety of fresh produce in them. And don’t get me started on the dipping sauce!
For the Citrus Dipping Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons liquid aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (see note)
For the Spring Rolls:
- 10 asparagus spears, tough ends removed
- 20 leaves butter lettuce, hard ribs removed
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 ounces bean or rice vermicelli noodles
- 10 large basil or mint leaves
- 10 spring roll wrappers
To prepare the Citrus Dipping Sauce:
- Stir together all ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
To prepare the Asparagus and Avocado Spring Rolls:
- Add a few inches of water to a wide, shallow saucepan and bring to a full boil. Add the asparagus spears and cook until bright green but still crunchy on the inside, about 2 minutes. Drain the water and place the asparagus on a plate. Refrigerate until completely cool. Once cool, cut the asparagus spears in half.
- Fill the saucepan with water and bring it to a full boil, then add the vermicelli noodles. Cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until the noodles are soft. Drain the water and keep the noodles in a colander.
- Fill the saucepan with 1 to 2 inches of water and bring to almost a boil. Remove from heat. Carefully and quickly lay one spring roll wrapper on top of the water, just until the full surface of the wrapper touches the surface of the water and it becomes pliable. Remove the wrapper from the water and place it on a smooth cutting board or a piece of parchment paper.
- Place two pieces of asparagus in the center of the wrapper, followed by the vermicelli noodles, two thick pieces of avocado, and one basil or mint leaf. Roll up one lettuce leaf and place it on top of the avocado. Wrap the spring roll tightly. Repeat for remaining ingredients.
- Serve immediately with Citrus Dipping Sauce or wrap rolls individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
You can replace the chili garlic sauce with 1 clove garlic and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Read more at http://ohmyveggies.com/asparagus-and-avocado-spring-rolls-with-citrus-dipping-sauce/#0oS7ePsrOcGppZSs.99