Grilled strawberries and cucumbers transform a typical mixed green salad into an exciting side dish that you'll enjoy all summer long!
Read more at http://ohmyveggies.com/grilled-strawberry-and-cucumber-salad/#5ulf5RU0wpQywDBk.99
For the Dressing:
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white/golden balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Salad
- 3/4 pounds fresh strawberries
- 1 large cucumber, sliced into rounds
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 4 wedges of blue cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing until well combined. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat both sides of your grill to medium-high. Trim and discard the green tops from the strawberries, then thread the strawberries onto wooden skewers. Brush the strawberries with some of the dressing so they are lightly coated on all sides, then brush some of the dressing onto both sides of the cucumber slices.
- Turn one side of your grill off. Add the strawberry skewers to the side that is now “off” and grill the strawberries over indirect heat for 10 minutes, rotating the skewers once halfway through the cooking time. The strawberries will be slightly soft and have a few grill marks on their surface. Add the cucumber slices to the side of the grill that is still “on” and grill over direct heat for 1-2 minutes per side, until slightly softened and starting to form a few grill marks. Remove the strawberry skewers and the cucumber slices from the grill, transferring them to a clean plate to cool.
- Toss the mixed greens with the dressing, using an amount that suits your taste preferences. Add the walnuts and grilled cucumber slices, tossing gently to combine. Divide the salad between four bowls or plates. Top with the grilled strawberries (you can remove them from the skewers first, or leave them on for a nice presentation) and a wedge of blue cheese. Serve immediately.