This healthy vegetarian spin on the classic Caesar salad features tender massaged kale leaves and rye bread croutons tossed in a creamy Greek yogurt dressing.
For the croutons:
- 2 cups dark rye bread cubes (about 4 slices)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing:
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Scant ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Heaping ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce or liquid aminos (I use Bragg's brand)
- ½ teaspoon miso paste
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, destemmed, washed, and torn into bite-sized pieces
- Extra Parmesan for sprinkling on top
Make the croutons:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Toss the cubed rye bread with the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, flipping twice, until crunchy. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Make the dressing:
- Combine the Greek yogurt, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, soy sauce, miso, garlic, and black pepper in a small bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Taste test and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Make the salad:
- In a large bowl, toss the torn kale with a small amount of dressing (this recipe will make more than you need for one salad). Using clean hands, massage the dressing into the kale. Add a little bit more dressing and toss to coat.
- Add croutons and extra Parmesan, and toss again.
- Serve immediately