Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Homemade chana masala makes baked sweet potatoes into a filling meal.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, rinsed and scrubbed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1-2 tablespoons garam masala (use more or less depending on spice preference)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, minced
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Prick the sweet potatoes several times with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Roast for about an hour, until tender.
- While the sweet potatoes cook, add the coconut oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, garam masala, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 more minute, stirring often. Add the tomato paste, canned tomatoes and chickpeas. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in the coconut milk and continue to simmer for 5 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- To serve, slice open the sweet potatoes and scoop a healthy portion of the chana masala into each. Garnish the potatoes with the minced cilantro.