PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
1 (14 ounces) extra-firm tofu, cubed
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups chopped broccoli florets
1 cup sliced carrots
2 cups cooked brown rice, for serving
Sesame Ginger Sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce or tamari for a gluten-free version
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Press the tofu: you can use a tofu press or wrap the tofu in a kitchen towel or paper towels and place a heavy object on top. Let sit for 10 minutes while you prepare the sauce and chop the vegetables.
- Cube the tofu and toss with the salt and cornstarch until evenly coated.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the sauce and set aside: garlic, ginger, maple syrup, soy sauce, water, sesame oil, and rice wine vinegar.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the tofu. Let fry for 2-3 minutes until crispy, then flip and cook another 2-3 minutes more until golden brown all over. Add 2 tablespoons of the sauce and let cook until tofu is caramelized.
- Remove the tofu and add another teaspoon or so of olive oil to the skillet. Add the broccoli and carrots and stir-fry until vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the sauce and the cooked tofu and cook 1-2 more additional minutes until the sauce is mostly absorbed.
- Serve with cooked brown rice.